Saturday, September 3, 2016

I have to know

‘There has to be a way.’

‘You’ve tried everything.  Let it go.’

‘Someone must know who my parents are.’

‘John and Amy are.’

‘And they always will be, but it’s not the same. I can’t explain it.  I just need to know.  It’s like I’m missing some essential piece.  If I know, I’ll somehow be whole.’

‘You won’t, Chloe.  You’ll just have more questions.  That’ll need answers.’

‘But they’ll be questions and answers I need to ask and know.’

‘You won’t know though. And you might be better off not knowing.’

‘I have to know.  And I will find them.’ 



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've neatly capture the adoptee's perspective, Rob. On the one hand, it's natural to want to know. On the other, is it always the best idea?? Perhaps not.