Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Books by Irish authors read in 2013

Of the 110 books I read and reviewed last year 20 were books by Irish authors, all but two of which were crime fiction.  I think that proportion is a reasonable slice of my overall reading and hope to continue in the same vein this year.  Irish authors are presently producing some really top-notch, engaging and entertaining crime stories  and all the books below are worth a read.

Zugzwang by Ronan Bennett ***
The Third Pig Detective Agency by Bob Burke ***
The Reckoning by Jane Casey ***.5
The Deal by Michael Clifford ***
Screwed by Eoin Colfer ***.5
The Guts by Roddy Doyle ***.5
Graveland by Alan Glynn *****
Echoland by Joe Joyce ***
Little Criminals by Gene Kerrigan *****
The Devil I Know by Claire Kilroy ****
Irregulars by Kevin McCarthy ****.5
Landscape and Society in Contemporary Ireland by Brendan McGrath ***.5
Bogmail by Patrick McGinley ***.5
The Lost by Claire McGowan ***.5
I Hear Sirens in the Street by Adrian McKinty ****
The Polka Dot Girl by Darragh McManus ****
Ratlines by Stuart Neville *****
Crocodile Tears by Mark O'Sullivan ****.5
The City of Strangers by Michael Russell *****
The Twelfth Department by William Ryan ****
Once in Another World Brendan John Sweeney *****

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob - Thanks for this summing-up. There's certainly lots of top-quality Irish crime fiction out there to savour.

seana graham said...

I'm loving your lists, Rob.

Bernadette said...

I didn't do so well on my Irish authors last year so will keep this as a handy reference.

Still don't seem to be a huge number of Irish women crime writers getting noticed/mentioned/reviewed. But I shall try one of your Claires I think - the one who reminds you of Elly Griffiths sounds right up my street

Rob Kitchin said...

Bernadette, I'm presently reading Tana French's Broken Harbour and have Alex Barclay and Ruth Dudley-Edwards on my tbr, so maybe there'll be better balance this year. Others you might look at are Arlene Hunt, Louise Phillips and Niamh O'Connor.

Bernadette said...

Thanks Rob for the suggestions, I've downloaded the Claire McGowan audio book and will listen to it next; I do have Broken Harbour on my TBR too - I must admit the size puts me off but I will tackle it soon.